If you have Editor rights within an organisation you can manage memberships (aka affiliations) of other users in relation to the organisation.
To view all users who already have, or have requested, membership of an organisation, use the ‘Manage’ menu to find the relevant organisation, then choose ‘Organisation Information’:
The resulting screen will show a range of organisation information. To manage users you will need to choose the ‘Users’ button towards the top of the screen:
This will then display a list of users who have requested membership for the organisation (aka ‘affiliation’), the Role (INST_ADM = Editor, INST_USER = Read only user), and the current status of the request – this can be one of “Pending”, “Auto Approved”, “Approved” or “Rejected”.
- Pending = a user has requested membership but it has not yet been approved/rejected
- Auto Approved = user membership of the organisation was automatically created and approved based on their login. Their rights in relation to the organisation are dictated by the ‘Role’ (as above)
- Approved = user membership of the organisation was requested and approved manually. Their rights in relation to the organisation are dictated by the ‘Role’ (as above)
- Rejected = user membership of the organisation was denied on request, or has been revoked since
If you have Editor rights to the organisation you will be able to carryout the following actions on this page:
- “Allow” – this action will change ‘Pending’ or ‘Rejected’ statuses to ‘Approved’
- “Revoke” – this action will change ‘Approved’ or ‘Auto Approved’ to ‘Rejected’
- “Delete” – this action will delete any link between the user and the organisation. This will automatically remove any permissions for the user in relation to the organisation.
The key different between “Revoke” and “Delete” is the former keeps a record, and allows you to reverse the decision at a later point. “Delete” will remove the link entirely and the user would have to make a new request in order to be approved.
The following screencast shows how to manage users within an organisation